Abandoned Rails

< Main Page

Rocky Mount, North Carolina

ACL Locomotive Repair Shops in the Early CSX Era



Here is a look at the former ACL diesel repair maintenance shop at South Rocky Mount.  During the steam era, this was the ACL's heavy repair shop for it's entire Northern Division.  At the height of it's success, the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad employed over 2,000 people in Rocky Mount.  The shops were named after Mr. Thomas Emerson, who served as president of the ACL from 1906 until his death in 1913.  The main shop building (seen in the first photo) is the only structure still standing as of late 2014.  Despite having been occupied over the years it has occupied by a number of non-railroad outfits, the building is starting to fall into a state of disrepair and a number of holes are becoming visible in the roof.  Appreciation is extended to Mr. Brian Ezzelle for allowing his photos to be shared on the website.  All of these images were taken between 1985 and 1986. 

All photographs are Copyright Brian Ezzelle. 


















Copyright 2002- | Jeff Hawkins

All copyrights are the property of their respective owners.