The Emerson Shops at South
Rocky Mount included a major passenger car maintenance and repair
facility. In addition to the usual host of running repairs, the
Emerson Shops also performed many upgrades and refurbishments over the
years with one of its specialties being interior refurbishments.
At the height of it's success, the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad employed
over 2,000 people in Rocky Mount. The shops were named after Mr.
Thomas Emerson, who served as president of the ACL from 1906 until his
death in 1913. These photographs were taken between 1985 and 1986
by Mr. Brian Ezzelle. All of the structures seen in the photos
below is gone.
All photographs are
Copyright © Brian Ezzelle.